Friday, May 21, 2010

Race Report - Ken Shiokari at Sea Otter and Santa Teresa

We just received a race report form one of our sponsored independent racers, Ken Shiokari. Ken is always out at the races in Northern CA and splits his time between both road and mountain bike disciplines. Here's his race report, and there are probably a few things we could all learn from this veteran racer:

"Sea Otter XC Race - Great weather and a good turnout. Otter was your typical sprint to the single track race and then follow the trains on the climbs. I got to the the tracks in about 15th and shuffled around until about mile 5. After the neutral water, Rob Stark, Davis Curtis and I established that there were 3-4 guys that got away with Francisco Vidal off the front. Our chase group pushed nose to tail for about 10 miles catching and dropping a couple of the guys. After leading this group the whole way, I let Rob pull through so I could rest before the long climb out -- the race mistake. Soon after while passing traffic, an out of class rider endo'ed into "the mud puddle" right in front of me. This created the gap that grew on the next climb where I could not get past another train on the next single track climb - Rob got away. The climb out was typically hard and then there was a new finishing circuit that had a bunch of little leg breakers. Paul Montgomery (who nipped me at the line last year) got the win, Rob second, Francisco third, I got fourth (closing in but ran out of distance), and Dave filled the podium in 5th. The venue might have podium pictures - maybe ask them for a photo since Price Point was a sponsor. The expo park was packed and well attended.

Santa Teresa XC Race - Perfect weather for XC race. This tough, rocky course was awesome. I'd never ridden here before but others knew about it. - former World champion Ned Overend and former master's WC Rob Anderson came out to play too. My lack of course knowledge had me line up near the back of the 60 rider plus field and then there was no sorting section -- just straight onto the trail. Once we hit the rocky switchback climb, there was a 50 rider train ahead. It was steep so I was able to pass a few when they bogged on the rocks but it was a tight line. I had a few almost 'fly offs' switchback encounters but the single track is great there. Once we hit the long fire road climb, I was able to pace out and pass in bunches. Then we hit the rock garden -- wow this was nice stuff (see photo). The trails were rocky before but this trail was all rocks (I think it's called rocky ridge trail). We down hilled and wooped it back to the start finish -- now that I had the 'pre-ride' in it got really fun. Ended up taking first and riding solo for the whole race."

Well then. Congratulations Ken and thanks for representin' Price Point! We appreciate the shared stories and look forward to hearing about how your season progresses.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment..........