Friday, August 24, 2012

Lance Armstrong is striped of Tour De France's titles by USADA

If you have not yet heard, yes Lance Armstrong is being striped of his 7 Tour De France victories by the USADA for performance-enhancing drugs. If the disqualification of his reign of the Tour De France is not enough, also added a lifetime competition ban.

“Nobody wins when an athlete decides to cheat with dangerous performance-enhancing drugs, but clean athletes at every level expect those of us here on their behalf, to pursue the truth to ensure the win-at-all-cost culture does not permanently overtake fair, honest competition,” USADA Chief Executive Travis Tygart said in the statement.  “Any time we have overwhelming proof of doping, our mandate is to initiate the case through the process and see it to conclusion, as was done in this case.”

Armstrong announced Thursday night he was giving up his fight against accusations that he used performance-enhancing methods to win his Tour titles, deciding not to proceed in an arbitration process with the USADA. Tygart said earlier Friday he was confident an independent arbitration judge would have ruled in the agency's favor had Armstrong's case proceeded through arbitration.

Armstrong never tested positive for performance-enhancing use during his decade of Tour races. "The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colors. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?" Quoted form Armstrong himself. "There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. "

Cancer patient, 7 time Tour De France winner, philanthropist, American hero, did the USADA really have to come after him after so much time has passed? I guess they could not just leave it alone. Where lance Armstrong is in life and how much time has passed regardless if he is guilty or not I don't think they should have said anything. What do you think?




No comments :

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment..........